Monday, March 31, 2008

Another Organizing Day

We aren't moving very fast on this organizing business, but we are moving. Today's projects were the kitchen pantry area and stowing the fishing poles. When we first looked at this motor home, Jim was excited to see that there are little round openings in the chasis frame. He measured them and bought pvc pipe to put in the holes to carry our fishing poles.

The poles fit into the pvc pipes that are placed into the holes in the chasis frame.

The other end of the pvc pipes

I decided to use the plastic covered wire shelves and plastic tubs to organize the pantry area. I used several medium sized tubs and about 8 shoe-box size containers.

This is an example of how I arranged the cupboards.


It's pretty easy to pull out one or two containers to get to the ones in back, and things will stay fairly stable when we're under way. I hope. I will probably use bungee cords to secure the cookbooks to the shelves.

Sandra stopped by today to return our containers which were used to send dinner home to Gordon a few nights ago. We got a progress report on his recovery from Valley Fever. They are hoping he's well enough to begin their journey back to Ottawa this Friday. Hopefully, he will feel up to going out to breakfast on Wednesday.

I made a recipe from a 1972 Pillsbury Bake Off Cook Book today. The price printed on the cover was 89 cents. When was the last time you bought a cookbook (other than in a used bookstore or garage sale) that cost 89 cents? This recipe is called Hearty Beef 'N Cheese Crescent Pie. I make it maybe once a year or so. Every time I make it, I remember why I keep the recipe around!

Here it is:

1 1/4 lbs ground beef, 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Montery Jack or Cheddar cheese

1/3 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce, 1 small can mushroom stems & pieces, 1 can green beans

1/4 tsp cumin seed, 1/4 tsp garlic salt (I use minced garlic), salt & pepper to taste, paprika

Preheat oven to 375. In a large fry pan, brown ground beef, onion and green pepper, drain fat. (I use really lean ground beef, so no fat to drain). Stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms, beans, cumin seed, garlic and salt, simmer while preparing crust. Separate crescent dough into 8 triangles. Place triangles in ungreased 9-inch pie pan, press over bottom and up sides to form crust. Combine egg and 1 cup cheese. Spread over crust. Spoon hot meat mixture into crust. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and paprika. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Makes 5 to 6 servings.

Opening games in baseball, finals in college basketball, oh so many choices! Jim was able to find enough to keep his channel clicking finger in shape today.

The last picture is to give my readers a break from motor homes and cactus. This is a flower garden in Tubac.


Another day in the life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ellie. The lid on the peanut butter isn't on correctly - it is cross threaded. Good idea using the clear tubs for organizing. I use tubs in the basement storage areas and under the bed but the pantry/kitchen storage isn't really large enough. I used my label maker and mark the end of the tubs even though I know what is in them (separate ones for fresh water stuff, black water stuff, one for electrical stuff, one for "setup" stuff, and one miscellaneous. I'd probably do the same for ones in the pantry/kitchen.