Monday, November 5, 2007

Another Monday

Waking up on Monday used to be harder. Even after I retired, for awhile, it reminded me of the days I had to get up to be at work. Now I wake up with a smile, no matter what day it is.

I heard a song on the radio yesterday by Dierks Bently. It's called "Free and Easy (Down the Road I go) on the album, "Long Trip Alone". One of the lines in this song says something like, "Livin' life like a Sunday stroll", which is pretty much the way we are. I've adopted this song as our theme song.

Breakfast today was here, at the Boerne Grill. You can see the reflection of our car in the window, below the Open sign.




A friend of mine, whose name is also Ellie, sent me this information about a restaurant in San Antonio we should try: http://www.guentherhouse.com/ . This is the home of the founder of the Pioneer Flour Mills in the historic district. Since we wanted to drive through San Antonio to check our best route with the motor home, I mapped the directions to the Guenther House so we could have lunch there. We took the 410 loop around the city and came back up I-37 into downtown. Even though it will add miles, it will save on nerves, so that's the way we will go.


It was easy to find the Guenther House, so we parked the car and went exploring before lunch. We walked along the Riverwalk in an entirely different area from where we were last week. This was very relaxed and beautiful. We took our time and really explored the walk. (Of course, we were dodging the working folks who were power walking and running on their lunch hours.) Here are some of the best pictures.














Below is the flour mill as seen from the Riverwalk.



The Guenther House is a combination museum, shop and restaurant. The restaurant is in the lower level. Throughout the house there are beautifully maintained details. I loved this chandelier and the fireplace.





Lunch was delicious, and of course, included fresh bread made with flour from the mill. We brought our desserts home and will have those later. Thank you, Ellie, for the great recommendation!




Back home, we relaxed, and I walked the dogs. They're still trying to figure out the time change!

2 comments:

Ann and Bob said...

Hi Jim and Ellie,

Great pictures! Sounds you are finally getting to fulltime the wasy it should be done.

Ann and Bob

Swanny said...

Hi Ellie!

It looks like you've got a great blog going here. I really like the layout and the style and the pictures. I'll bet it attracts lots of readers once the word gets out.

We used to have a gray mini schnauzer that looked a lot like yours.....floppy ears and all. :)

I've been trying to leave a comment since I learned about your blog last week but I'm having trouble with my Google account name/password for some reason. We'll see if this works.

Glad to see you're back on the road!

Shark