Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Wall, South Dakota

We pried ourselves away from Custer this morning around 9:30, after saying our "See-ya's" to the people we've met while there. There definitely is something special about the Black Hills, and Custer, especially. I know we'll be going back there.

We took our time getting ready to leave, and everything went smoothly. It took about 2 hours to go the 95 miles to Wall, South Dakota, where we're spending one night at the Sleepy Hollow RV Park, about a block from the famous Wall Drug Store. We wanted to visit one more time. We also didn't want to make the drive from Custer to Mitchell, SD in one day, so this was a good place to stop for the night.

We decided to drive through Custer State Park on our way out of the area. That was quite an adventure, taking a 40' motor home over the twisty-turny road that goes through the park! We made it just fine, and actually got over 12 mpg for part of the trip.

We were in Wall and set up shortly after 11:30.

Here's Jim, visiting with some of his favorite "critters" at Wall Drug:


This picture is for Jenny - is this the cowboy you meant?


Wall Drugtakes up about a square block. All this from the idea to give free ice water to travelers!


Now here's a unique and fun way to RV:

Tomorrow we'll have a little longer travel day, around 220 miles to Mitchell, where we'll be for 2 nights.

We're back on the road!

5 comments:

Karon said...

Safe travels dear friends.

I love the pictures, just can't decide which is my favorite, Jim leaning on the buffalo or Ellie and the cowboy!!!

Have lots of fun.
Love you both,
Karon

Speedy said...

I like the bus conversion. Maybe I should get me one of those.

Speedy

Mark and Dortha said...

Glad to hear you are on the move once again. I am thinking I should have considered this beautiful yellow bus before making my decision. LOL

Safe travels.

Jenny Johnson said...

Ellie - that's the one!!! I had my pic taken with thirty years ago. Thanks it is nice to see his smiling face again!! And i love the bus! If I had seen that before I bought the 27 foot I would have waited and bought a YELLOW one. Just my style,
keep them pics comin'

Jenny

Debbie and Rod said...

That just shows how classy you are, Ellie. I would have been sitting on the cowboy's lap. :)

Debbie