Sunday, November 16, 2008

Our "Mouse" is Identified - We Think

Yesterday was very windy with much cooler temperatures, so we didn't venture out much. Jim did go do the laundry while I did the usual house cleaning, though. I super-scrubbed the shower and shined it up with my Dri-Wash 'n Guard, which really helps keep the water spotting down.


Mark came by in the afternoon to see if we wanted to take a drive, so of course, off we went. We found the little town of Fairhope, but didn't get out to shop or explore. It looks like a great little shopping area though, so I hope to get back over there while we're here.


This morning was pretty chilly, but the wind had died down, so I got a good long walk with the dogs. They were happy about that, because yesterday they didn't get out much.


After our walk and breakfast, I went to Walmart and picked up a few groceries.


We believe we have identified our "Mouse". We think it is a mockingbird, and we have evidently invaded it's feeding territory. We see it standing on the neighbor's mirror and jumping at the window. Then it comes over here and does the same thing, except it seems to have taken a particular interest in our coach, and now spends most of the day on our roof, tapping away.




When I went outside to shoo it away, it gave me "the look" as seen below:



It will fly to a near-by tree if we insist, but as soon as we go back inside, it's right back to it's attack mode. This afternoon, Glenn and Sylvia stopped by to visit, and he mentioned he thought the people who were in this space before had the same issue. Hmmm....

So, I guess we don't have a mouse, but we don't know what to do with our bird!

Both dogs got a shower this afternoon and we got some football watching and visiting done.

That's about all the day's excitment at the Rainbow Plantation, just right for us.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Ellie,
That is definitely a Mockingbird on your roof. They are very territorial. What Jim needs to get is a wind sock to fly from your ladder. If it's windy it will flap away and discourage the birds.

We had problems with those huge Northwestern Crows in Dawson City, Yukon this past June! It really helps deter them.

Kathy
Birdingrvers.com

Speedy said...

Hey it has been a while...I have been on my adventure at the coast so I have not been able to read all the journals that I would like. I see that you are having a good time and once again we are enjoying your travels. The months are going by pretty fast so it wont be long and we will be at the gathering.

Have a wonderful day

Joe and Sherri