Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Honey, We’re “Home”

I don’t remember the exact circumstances, but I was having a conversation with someone – at a check stand or in line at Wal-Mart, perhaps - and I was asked, “Where are you from?”  To which I answered, “Livingston, Texas”.  The person with whom I was conversing mentioned a specific location near here, asking me how I like it – I had to answer honestly, “Well, I don’t know, I’ve never been there.”  Even though I don’t remember the circumstances of the conversation, I remember the blank look on the woman’s face when I said that!

So, now, we can say we’ve “been there”.

We left our pretty spot:

Ellie 003 

at Fontainebleau State Park in Mandeville, Louisiana, bright and early yesterday morning (I think it was Monday about 7:30) and continued our Westward trek.

Bayous & bridges, traffic (oh yes, and construction zones), you’ll find it all on I-10.

Ellie 013

 

Ellie 016

 

Ellie 014

 

Ellie 028

I took over the driving, thinking there would be a rest area in about 30 miles, but the rest area mysteriously disappeared, so I ended up driving about 100 or so miles.

Ellie 029

What – a bridge?  You didn’t tell me I’d have to drive over a BRIDGE!   It’s one thing to ride over one, but quite a different kettle of fish to drive over one!

Ellie 030

But I got over it:

Ellie 034

And we made it to our Home State:

Ellie 040

Soon we turned off of I-10 and took the “back roads”

Ellie 042

to reach our little home spot at Rainbow’s End near Livingston, Texas.  In nearly 4 years on the road, this is our first visit to the Escapees headquarters location.  When we pulled in to the park, I was busy making sure we turned onto the correct road and didn’t get a picture, so that will wait for another entry.  We are in the “new” section of the park.  The sites are OK, not nearly as nice as those at Rainbow Plantation in Summerdale, but they are OK.  So far, the people are friendly and the place has a nice feeling to it.  While we’re here, we plan to take one of their tours of the facilities, and we’ll be able to pick up our mail right here at the mail facility.

We got our site, got backed in and set up, then took off for a quick Wal-mart run to pick up a prescription.  While we waited for the prescription to be ready, we went across the street to a local Mexican restaurant and had a great meal.  We got home and settled in for the first few minutes of the Broncos/Chargers football game.  I think after the Chargers scored the second, or maybe third, touchdown, we sort of lost interest and fell asleep.

This morning I attended the line dancing class before we took off for a run to Mike & Rhonda’s house in Spring, where we will spend Thanksgiving day.  Mike and Jim were good friends in high school, and that friendship has endured a lot of years.  We’re blessed to be able to spend this special holiday with them.  It’s about 65 miles from here, and we wanted to be sure we could find our way.  When we got there, we all went out to lunch before we headed back home.

The weather has been warm and muggy with a few rain showers thrown in for good measure.  But not to worry, we understand there’s a cold front moving our way and will be here in time for the holiday!

6 comments:

Avery's Wanderings said...

Welcome home! Enjoy Thanksgiving with friends.. Hope to see you in AZ.

test said...

Glad you made it home safely, and great job on driving 100 miles and a bridge all in one day:) It was great getting to spend time with you guys, and hopefully we will get to see you again soon. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Unknown said...

We are camped out, and hooked up to the RV port in my Dad's front yard, about an hour from where you guys are in Livingston. If you get a chance be sure to check out the Big Thicket National Preserve in Kountze. . .

Enjoy Texas, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!

Debbie Goode said...

Yeah, ain't that a hoot....we will be seeing that same cold front here in Bullhead City....Happy Turkey Day!

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Welcome to Texas.
How long will you be here, maybe we can see each other?
Happy Trails, Penny, TX

Molly and Bob said...

Well, I am so far behind in blog reading...but nice to know you made it to Livingston!! We are in Red Bay...
Hope your Thanksgiving was nice and we'll see you down the road!