Monday, November 3, 2008

Back to Normal (Whatever That May Be!)

We got back to business today. That is, the business of playing! When we got up and around this morning, it was cloudy and overcast, with a pretty good chance of rain. However, it wasn't raining so we decided to head off to Hunting Island, where we knew there was another lighthouse.

We switched things up with our transportation, with me driving and Dortha and "Flo" providing navigation. We had two back-seat drivers, though! Flo took us right to the lighthouse and we started our exploration.

Hunting Island Light Station is no longer active. The lighthouse is 132 1/2 feet tall and has 167 interior steps. It was opened in 1875 and was visible for 17 miles. As is the case with many lighthouses, it was originally placed where erosion threatened it, and it was moved to it's present location in 1876. This is one of two lighthouses that were constructed with a segmented cast iron design. The other on is at Cape Canaveral.

Here's what it looks like looking up from the inside:

Jim took this picture of Dortha and me from the ground. He and Mark did not make the climb.

This was the view from the top:

After we descended again, we walked on the beach for awhile. The temperature was interesting to me today. It seemed cold, and yet it didn't. I can't really explain it, but I wasn't as cold as I expected to be.
Someone left this log character on the beach:

We programmed Flo to get us to the town of Beaufort after we'd explored and enjoyed the lighthouse and beach at Hunting Island. We found a local cafe and had lunch in the historic downtown of Beaufort. Several movies have been filmed in this area, including "The Big Chill", and "Forrest Gump".
By that time is was sprinkling and breezy, so we didn't spend a lot of time walking around, but decided to head to the Tanger Outlet Mall located near Hilton Head Island. Once agian, Flo knew the way and soon we were having a good time shopping. We all enjoying poking around the kitchen store. Dortha and Jim both needed jeans, and I needed a couple of shirts, so we found all of that. I think Mark was the only one who didn't come away with some new fashion.
We had a pork loin simmering in the crockpot, so it was time to head back and complete our pulled pork supper. It turned out great, and once again, we've had a great day!
I need to let you all know, because every single person who knows we're in this area has told us we must eat at Mrs. Wilks Boarding House, that we plan to go there on Wednesday. Tomorrow is our Weight Watcher's meeting, and we wanted to make sure we have enough "points" available to enjoy Mrs. Wilks!

No comments: