Friday, October 24, 2008

Wet!

That's an understatement! We are currently under a flash flood warning, since it's been raining continuously for over 12 hours now. It pours hard for a while and then lets up a little, but since this morning, it has never completely stopped. Evidently, the Charleston area is getting a record amount of rain totals for 1 day. The poor dogs, their raincoats don't even help.

Yesterday was a pretty good day, although it was windy. We took a drive and visited several areas nearby. First stop was to see the Angel Tree. This is similar to the huge tree we visited near Rockport, Texas last year.

Can you see Jim standing under the tree?

This is another side of the tree, there is a couple standing by it in this picture:

We then drove to Mt. Pleasant, Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms, all areas right around Charleston. While we were on Sullivan's Island, we stopped and took a quick look at Fort Moultrie, which played an important role in the defense of Charleston Harbor in both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.

I thought this mailbox on Sullivan's Island was more interesting than pictures of the fort:

There's also a lighthouse on Sullivan's Island, although it is not the most attractive one I've ever seen, it still counts.


We stopped for lunch at a seafood restaurant in Mt. Pleasant before deciding to visit the outlet mall. Dortha wanted to see if the Corning Outlet store had any dishes she could love, and I needed to see if I could find a new pair of jeans. I did get a pair of jeans, as well as a pair of shoes and 2 shirts. Of course, I then had to clean out my closet when we got home. I managed to find a few items that I don't wear, so now I have room for the new things.
Today we took care of some meal planning and grocery shopping. I fixed spaghetti for dinner tonight and baked a Weight Watchers chocolate cake.
We've been noticing a flock of white birds at a pond that is part of the rv park. Today they were right by our motor home and I got a good look at them. I believe they are White Ibis. I didn't get a picture of them today, but if I see them tomorrow, I'll try to get some pictures. They were very busy today, digging in the grass with their long, slender bills. I imagine the rain has brought up some good bugs for them.

It's been a good day, but I will be glad to see the rain stop!

No comments: