Friday, October 31, 2008

Uncle Bubba's and Tybee Island

Yesterday was a stay-at-home day, with the notable exception of lunch at the Pink Pig, an excellent barbeque restaurant less than half a mile from our rv park. They are only open a few days a week, so it worked out perfectly to have lunch there. This restaurant has been featured in magazines and on tv, and I can see why. The food was some of the best barbeque I've had. Of course, since we're in South Carolina, they consider the definition of barbeque to be pork, no beef here!

Hardeeville RV Park allows washing rigs, so that was our task for the day. Before lunch, Jim climbed up and scrubbed the roof of the Castle, and after lunch we tackled the rest. I helped by doing my half of the rig - the bottom! This is the first time we've washed the rig with soap and water since we left Colorado.
Mark grilled some wonderful bacon wrapped turkey fillets on his grill and Dortha made veggies with pasta for dinner. After dinner, we got a campfire going. We sat outside for a little while, but it didn't take long for the evening cool to outpace the warm fire, and we retired for the night.

Today's adventure began with us picking up the wheel cover for the Saturn. Unfortunately, it's turned out to be the wrong style, so we'll have to return it and get the correct one ordered. After the stop at the Saturn dealership, we made a quick bank stop and then headed towards Tybee Island. We decided to go ahead and have a nice lunch and skimp on dinner tonight. I have to tell you, staying within my Weight Watcher points allowance is a real challenge here in the south, and especially Savannah! There are so many places that offer delicious, but high calorie foods!

Our choice for today was Uncle Bubba's Oyster House, owned by Paula Deen's brother. It's location is just next to Tybee Island, so stopping here was right on our way:

We really enjoyed ourselves! Dortha and I chose grilled fish options with corn and collard greens, while Mark and Jim had fried choices. It was all very, very good! Mark wanted pecan pie for dessert, so we got one piece and the rest of us had a few bites and gave the rest to Mark. It came out with a huge scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top. We all decided we like Uncle Bubba's better than The Lady and Sons.

I wish I'd gotten a picture of that pie before Mark finished it off! He was one happy camper!

On to Tybee Island and the lighthouse. The structure that stands today is the 4th one at this location. The first two were built too close to the water and were replaced. The third one was partially burned by the Confederate Army at the beginning of the Civil War to keep Union soldiers from using it. However, only the stairs and landings were burned, and the Union Army occupied it and repaired the damage.

The current structure was built using the base of the former lighthouse, but with 94 feet added, making it 154 feet tall.

There are 178 cast iron steps leading to the watch room gallery:

The site is actually a Light Station, with the keeper's house, assistant keeper's house and several other structures that are still intact. We toured the keeper's house, here we are in one of the upstairs bedrooms, which strongly reminded me of the bedroom I shared with my sister in the house where I grew up:

This is the first order Fresnel lens which now uses a 1,000 watt electric light bult, which can be seen for 18 miles.

After our visit to the light station and museum, we drove around a bit, and of course, walked on the beach.

It's been a fabulous day! Tomorrow promises more adventure, so come back, y'all.

1 comment:

Karon said...

Thank you for bringing my memories to life. It brings me so much joy that you are getting to see a few of the pages of my past. Sharon would be so proud.
I love you and miss you!