Sunday, March 22, 2009

Red Bay Sunday

Once again, there isn't much going on to report. We slept in all the way to 7:00 this morning, it was quiet and peaceful here at Camp Red Bay. I got out for a good, long walk and then helped Jim sort and get the laundry ready, and he went off to the laundromat. I broke with tradition and did not clean house. I got the bed made and the dishes washed, but that was pretty much the extent of the housework today.

Instead, I started working on our paperwork to sign up for a South Dakota residence. After much discussion, research and thought, we have made the decision to move our residency to South Dakota, with America's Mailbox in Rapid City. They will assist with getting our vehicles registered, and we will get our drivers licenses when we go there this summer. Over the course of the day, we got most of the forms filled out and will get them sent off on Tuesday. When we originally chose Texas as our home state, the decision was based, in part, on the fact that much of Jim's family resided in Texas, and we knew we would be in the state quite a bit. However, we've since had an opportunity to learn more of the details of the differences between the two states. Financially, there isn't a lot of difference, but the fact that we do not need to upgrade our drivers licenses to a new class, and we won't have to have our vehicles inspected annually make a difference to us. Insurance costs will be slightly lower in South Dakota as well.

Otherwise, walks, reading, and relaxing have been the order of the day. Later this afternoon, we rustled up our dinner, with Jim grilling some of the shrimp we bought and froze in Rockport.

And that concludes our Red Bay Sunday. I suspect the next two days - getting me ready to leave on Wednesday - will be much busier!

5 comments:

Gypsy said...

I got my vehicles registered in SD around mid-November and you are supposed to get your SD driver's license within 90 days. My insurance company in SD was going to put a surcharge on my premiums since I didn't get the D/L - but they did give me a grace period because I had to have eye surgery and couldn't get there. Now, I'm flying to Sioux Falls this coming Tuesday, will get the license on Wednesday and fly back to CA that evening. Costly, but I'm glad to get it over with. Be sure your insurance will give you the flexibility to wait until summer to change over your D/L's. Good luck.

gypsy

Janna and Mike said...

Jim--you're looking pretty skinny these days, Ellie is still wearing off on you, isn't she?? Glad to hear you guys are going to SD this summer, that means we will probably get to see you??

Speedy said...

We too will be in South Dakota this Summer if all goes well??? We will be in the Badlands for some time.

Joe and Sherri

Peggy n David said...

Ellie,

Just wanted to let you know that Sue from the RV/Campers thread had to go in for surgery...we miss you on the thread!

Sounds like you guys are having a great time...

Mike McFall said...

Hope to see you in SD. But not until the snow melts!!!

Larry and Geri spent a couple weeks with us down here in AZ. We took our 4X4;s out in the desert and had a ball. They headed back to SD a couple weeks ago to get the Camp Ground ready for spring opening. Since then 3 blizzards have hit the area,,poor guys.

See you at the pot lucks,,,,

Take care. Enjoy your blog!! You look at mine? I sonetimes feel I'm talking to NO ONE! But the counter says I get 100 hits a day. Just many don't comment.

Cheers
Mike
PS. I just LOVE Jim Boys cookin!!!