Friday, July 27, 2012

Sightseeing and Shopping

The sightseeing part of today was pretty easy – we drove into Bangor and visited the Thomas Hill Standpipe, which is basically a big water tower, really big:

Ellie 006_1

If you look closely at the bottom of the tower a little to the right of center, you can see a woman walking a dog, that should give you a sense of the size of this tower.

It’s actually two structures, the tank inside the shell holds 1,750,000 gallons of water.  It was built in 1897 and is still in use today.  The outer shell is 85 feet in diameter and 110 feet tall.  It used to open to the public, but now is only open to the top observation deck 4 days a year.

After our visit to the standpipe, we drove out to a small town, Old Town, just to look around. There wasn’t much of interest there, so we headed back towards the mall.

We’ve been discussing the replacement of my Toshiba laptop for some time now, and today decided to just do it.  So we stopped in at Best Buy and purchased a Mac Book Pro for me.  A little over 3 hours later, we got home with the new computer.  Oh, my.  Back in the dark ages of personal computers, my first computer was an Apple IIe.  I went from there to a MacIntosh.  But after that I learned to use a PC and have been using those since the 1980’s.  Now, to switch back to Mac is going to be like moving to a different planet!

I thought I’d have things under control enough to use it to write the blog tonight, but it isn’t happening!  I’ve used Windows Live Writer for a few years now, and will have to find a substitute for the Mac. I don’t even know how to save pictures on it yet!  Yikes, talk about a learning curve, what did I get myself into???

Good thing the ol’ Toshiba is still kicking, I’d really be in a mess without it while I learn the Mac.

Now I’m trying to write this, move files to the Mac, and watch the opening ceremony for the Olympics.  Guess I’d better get back to – whatever!  Wish me luck.

3 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Great! Another convert from PC to Mac! There's a lot of people out there doing that now. Enjoy your Mac!

Fred Wishnie said...

It seems a little daunting at first, but you'll get it. I haven't had a lock up or crash since I switched to the Mac. :)

WestieWaggin' - Out Our Window Today... said...

I just found your blog and realized we are both in Hermon at Pumpkin Patch. We are in Site #28. We were wondering what groomer you used for your dogs in this area. We have two Westies that are in need of a trim.
Thanks! Earlene & Victor