Friday, January 16, 2009

Least Favorite Task, Then a Fun Event

It was chilly and very windy this morning, so I spent my exercise time inside, doing Wii Sports and Wii Fit. After that, I faced my least favorite task in the RV life - defrosting the freezer.

If you're curious about how I do this job, read on, if not, you can skip this section! Our freezer has two separate compartments, so I start by moving all the food from the ice maker section to the other section. The ice maker section ices up faster and more than the other one, so I start with it. I turn off the fridge and get started. I use a pan of hot water and a cleaning cloth to get the ice melting. I do use my hair dryer too, but very sparingly and carefully, so that I don't cause any damage to sensitive parts. I never put the hair dryer into the freezer, and only use it for a few seconds. Mostly I rely on the pan of hot water. Once I have that section done, I move all the food over to it and do the other section. I always end up throwing out food that's been in there too long - and if I don't remember when I put it in there, it's likely to be gone. Since I really don't like doing this job, I put it off until I just have to do it, then I get it done as fast as possible!

Once that was done, I could look forward to the rest of the day.
These are the flowers that Sandra and Gordon brought last night:
Jim took this picture of two birds taking off:
The fun event today was a shrimp boil this evening, provided by the campground owners. Here is the set-up for the cooking, just outside the recreation hall:
The meal was held in the recreation hall. We walked over with Sandra and Gordon at 5:30.
This was my plate:
Yum! Besides the shrimp, corn and potatoes, there were was sausage, macaroni salad, rolls and several kinds of dessert.
In the rec hall there is an arial picture of the rv park, showing the little harbor. I took this picture of the picture. We're in the first space on the left of the lower loop and Sandra and Gordon are in the space next to us.

We enjoyed the outing, and came back home to enjoy the evening.

2 comments:

Jenny Johnson said...

Ellie-- you forgot the refrigerator -pantry challenge Sandra started....would love to see your newly defrosted freezer.
Jenny J

Randy and Terry said...

Ellie, here's a tip on how to quickly defrost your freezer. We place a sheet of plastic wrap along the back wall of the freezer. Then, when it's time to defrost, we just peel the plastic wrap off and all the ice comes with it! Makes the job much easier. And, of course, when I say "we," I mean Randy! ;)

Great pictures of the birds taking flight, Jim!