Saturday, December 6, 2008

Saturday at Cedar Ridge

This turned out to be a beautiful day, once it warmed up from the 23 degrees we woke up to.

Jim took care of the laundry while I stayed behind to do my Wii Fit and some cleaning.

We filled the bird feeder yesterday, then again this morning. I spent quite a while this morning watching the various birds taking advantage of the free breakfast.

I know this is a woodpecker, but I'm not sure if it's a red-bellied or some other kind, and I never could get a better picture:



I'm not sure if this is a good enough picture to identify, but I'm wondering if this might be a black crested titmouse:


A beautiful cardinal:

By this afternoon, the bird feeder was empty again. Some of the birds come to the feeder and knock a lot of seed on the ground, then we get a crowd of birds around the ground, I saw as many as 20 there at a time.


Why did the turkeys cross the road? Because that's where the food was!

I made a pot of Weight Watchers vegetable soup for lunch. This soup has zero points and is pretty good, so it makes a great meal starter. In my previous life when I actually went to an office every weekday, I'd take a container of this soup for lunch several days a week, now I hardly ever make it. It just may become a staple around here again, though, as we both like it.

This afternoon, Karon and I ventured to Walmart. Neither one us usually likes to go there on the weekends, but we decided to brave the crowds today. It wasn't too bad, and I did come home with more birdseed, so our little friends will be happy again tomorrow.

We went out to eat this evening. Dan had a craving for Mexican food, so off we went. Karon and I both did pretty well with our choices and managed not to go over our points. She had banana pudding waiting at home, so we stopped at their house on the way home to have our dessert. Yum!
Another great day!

3 comments:

Mark and Dortha said...

I am loving all the birds and critters you have at your house right now. Wow, it was colder there than here today. I was glad to hear the good news from Karon.

Stay warm,
Dortha

Speedy said...

Hello I cannot believe it was 23 there. It was 30 up here. I did not know it until I went outside. The sun was up and it looked so warm out there. Was I shocked to have that cold air hit me. Well winter is here might as well get ready for it. Can't go where it is warm so I will have to get out the old coat and hat. Have a great day and send pictures.

Joe and Sherri

Barb said...

Ellie - that looks like a Golden-fronted Woodpecker and the other is probably a Tufted Titmouse. Both would be in your area. Great photos! Love the wild turkeys and the cardinals (we do not have red cardinals on the West Coast).

Thanks for sharing your "wild life" photos.

Barb