Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Day at Home

Sometimes I think of a day at home as a lazy day. This one, however, was not one of those. Starting sometime after midnight, the wind blew. We have a small set of wind chimes. We're also parked under a live oak tree that is dropping acorns on top of us. With the combination of acorns and wind chimes, it was quite a symphony. Finally, I got up and went out and got the wind chimes. There wasn't much I could do about the acorns. Sometime later, I fell asleep for a few hours. The wind brought some cooler, less humid air for our enjoyment.

After the morning walk and coffee routine, I went through some paperwork. I'm not fond of that task, and seem to put if off as long as I can. I don't like to throw things out, like older copies of magazines. When we were getting ready to sell our house, I put off going through the room I used as my "office" as long as I could. I knew that one was going to be rough. I found professional Human Resources magazines that were more than 10 years old. I sure can't do that with our Motor Home and Escapees magazines, pretty soon there'd be no room for us. So I bit the bullet and threw out some things. I hope I won't need them!

I decided that I'd bake a carrot cake for Jim. His mom, who recently passed away, had an awesome recipe. I wanted to see if I could revise it just a little to reduce the massive calorie count. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of oil, so I used 1 cup of unsweetened applesause and 1/2 cup of oil. Same thing with the sugar, the recipe calls for 2 cups, I used a little under 1 cup of sugar and about 1 cup of Splenda. I'm sure that helped with the cake, but about the only thing to lighten the icing was to use "light" cream cheese instead of the full strength.

Here's the only picture for today.





Our friend, Karon, came over for awhile this afternoon and we visited about our Thanksgiving plans. We made some tentative plans for the celebration. Most of our plans in this lifestyle are tentative, which doesn't bother us at all. We also talked about the possibility of packing a picnic lunch tomorrow and going to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. It will be fun if it happens, and if it doesn't, we'll try again next week.

I fixed chicken fried steak for dinner and then cleaned the massive mess I'd made in the kitchen.


Now it's time to sample that cake. I'll let you know tomorrow how it turned out.

No comments: