Thursday, November 1, 2007

Stonehenge - in Texas??



I first heard about this interesting place one evening a couple of weeks ago in the RV-Dreams chat room. Ok, I confess, I spend some time in the chat room many evenings -- and see, I've actually learned something fun to do from other visitors there.

This is a replica of the original Stonehenge , which I probably won't ever see. We had a beautiful day, a nice drive to the area around Kerrville and Hunt, Texas, and some fun visiting this unique location. Al Sheppard, a retired oilman, was given a large slab of limestone for his birthday, and he set it on end in a roadside pasture. To his dismay, no one noticed his rock. Convinced that drivers needed to pay attention, Al at first thought of filling the pasture with a pyramid, then a Polynesian temple, then a fake flying saucer crash site. He settled for a couple of Easter Island heads and "Stonehenge II," which claims to be 60 percent as large as the original. Although Al passed away in 1994, his family has kept the pasture open for visitors. In this picture, I probably have my foot on some of old Al's ashes, which were scattered on the site.




Here's a distance shot, see how blue that sky is (And here I thought only Colorado had such blue skies)!


Here is one of the two "Easter Island" sculptures on the site.


This has to be one of my favorite stops of the day. On the drive to find Stonehenge II, we crossed the Guadalupe River several times. We stopped at one of the crossings to take a few pictures. This has to be one of the prettiest rivers I've ever seen. We saw an RV park in Kerrville called the Guadaulupe River RV Resort. I would love to come back to this area and spend some time there.



We needed to find dog food for BoBo today. He has been eating Canidae Dog Food for several years and it isn't avialable just anywhere. I found a distributor in Kerrville, Texas, so we stopped there and got a supply while we were in the area.


I also needed a haircut. Like many other fulltimers, finding a good haircut is as important, and sometimes as elusive, as finding a good RV park. I've talked to several women friends who use the hair salon at Walmart, and since we spend a good deal of our shopping time there, I decided to give it a try while Jim did some shopping. I like this haircut a lot better than the last one I got at SuperCuts (won't go there again) but the jury is still out on just how much I like it.

After our sightseeing, hair cut and shopping, we were hungry, so we stopped at a local restaurant for some Mexican food. The notable comment about that is that we resisted the twenty or so cheesecakes they have on display as we entered. Since we were so "good" about refusing dessert, I baked a "Crustless Pumpkin Pie" which we'll be getting into shortly.


No comments: