Monday, December 3, 2007

Conn Brown Harbor

Oh, it is Monday again. I remember talking to my Dad about some family history stories many years ago. He reminisced about the family's schedule when he was a child. Every day had its own task. One day was laundry, another was bread making, yet another was house cleaning, and, of course, one day was for bathing. I'm not sure why I thought of that to start today's entry, but it just came to me. During the week, I do tend to forget what day it is, maybe I need that kind of structure. Nah, I really think we'll just continue to take things as they come.

We did get laundry done this morning. It's good to have that out of the way. We also worked on our list of things that need to get done before we leave Friday. We had to schedule and pay to wash our rig. They actually give us 2 days to get it done. But it costs $5.00. At least they do allow rig washing, many parks do not. We also got a window card for propane delivery on Wednesday. Not much has been used here, but we are heading to a cooler climate for awhile, and I know the temperatures have been in the 30's and 40's at night and early in the morning. Our furnace will get more use while we're in Central California, and I suspect, on the way there.

Another bit of business was checking with Escapees Mail Forwarding to verify we can request priority mail service to a general delivery. I also clarified their policy about first class vs. priority mail. They go by weight -- if the packet is over 13.5 oz it is sent priority. Under that weight, it is sent 1st class. I guess that was one of those fine print details I didn't pay close attention to when we signed up. It's not a problem, usually, but we did miss a delivery once because we left before the mail came. Now, that shouldn't happen again, as I'll just request a priority mail delivery when we have limited time in one place.

We decided to eat out again today since it was still chilly and quite windy. Jim didn't want to get into cooking fish outside today. We went to a little place on Fulton Harbor, Moondog. I had a grilled chicken salad which was pretty good.

After lunch, we headed to Aransas Pass. Jim wanted to check out the fishing pier at Conn Brown Harbor. Plus, there were still a few geocacaches in that area to find. I've learned about being stealthy while geocaching, so today we were photographers while we hunted caches. Jim found one and I found the other, so we were two for two today.

Conn Brown Harbor is in great need of revitalization. I found an article on the KRISTV.com web site from July, 2007 that the city council voted to sell it to developers. I don't know the status of that transaction, but it could be a really beautiful place. Instead, all over the area are torn down buildings and rotting boats. I guess there are a lot of sunken boats as well. It was once a thriving fishing and shrimpers area. The article said it would be several years before many changes occur. We'll keep an eye on it when we come back.

While we were in the neighborhood, we revisited an RV Park, Ransom Road, we'd gone through once before. This time I wanted to see it with the idea of staying there instead of The Lagoons in the future. If we got one of the sites that is a bit larger, it probably would work out ok. We'll see. Right now, I'm not interested in planning very far ahead!

I didn't take many pictures today, but here are a few taken at Conn Brown Harbor.


We are both starting to get antsy to leave. Just three more days and we'll be back on the road.

No comments: